[Dixielandjazz] George Probert

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 13 20:48:18 PDT 2010

George Probert played "Canal St. Blues" with Cell Block 7 in Chiliwack, BC,
our last set there, about 5 years ago...he counted it off..his request...and
it was gawd-awful slow! Then he took about 9 choruses on it...and it SWUNG!
It was great! I wish I had a recording of that set! We played our trio of
three double-bell euphonium arr of Ory's "Savoy Blues"...and he went to the
mike and said told the crowd in the hall that he had played that tune
probably with 60 jazz bands, and the arr we had was the closest to Kid's arr
he'd ever heard! But "Canal St. Blues"...WOW!
Warm regards,
Bob Romans,
1617 Lakeshore Dr.,
Lodi, California,95242,