[Dixielandjazz] "In Der Führer's Face"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 11 15:43:57 PDT 2010

Phil Wilking wrote [in part]:
> The cartoon was "Donald Duck In Nutzy Land" (or something similar). It is available in one of the boxed sets of Disney cartoons. As I read the story, Spike Jones heard that the Disney studio was making it and asked them to let his band do the music.

Dear Phil,
It was called 'Der Führer's Face'.
Here is the YouTube link to the cartoon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iumEGAUceDg
Its working title was 'Donald Duck in Nuttsey Land'.
The song was composed by Oliver Wallace, not Spike Jones as many assume, and was Jones' first and unexpected big hit.
Oliver (an Englishman) also composed the score to Walt Disney's 'Dumbo'.
The story behind the Jones' recording and the Disney cartoon is an interesting one and covered in detail in the book Spike Jones and His City Slickers (1982. Jordan R Young).
Very kind regards,
Bill.