[Dixielandjazz] Asylum Street Spankers

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 11:43:41 PDT 2010

I'll let you know after I look up "esoteric" in my Funk & Wagnalls.

Actually, I had never been able to determine whether that was an
actual quote from Mencken or just something written into the
screenplay for the character who was representative of him.but it's
sounding like you know it actually came from him so I'm not about to
challenge it.

Now, I can't even remember why I bothered to mention it but since I'm
already into it up to my ankles, I might as well quote what I thought
was the best line from the movie.

"It is the duty of a responsible journalist to comfort the afflicted
and afflict the comfortable".

While I saw the "Mencken-like" character portrayed in (3) filmed
versions by Kelly, Darren McGavin, and Beau Bridges, I regret that I
never saw the original stage production with Tony Randall in the role

HC.