[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Violinists

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Fri Apr 9 11:34:47 PDT 2010

Charlie Hull wrote:
> I'll probably get some flack from the purists, but am compelled to
> point out that there are many excellent jazz fiddlers in the western
> swing field, depending on how you want to define Jazz. (Let's not go
> THERE.)
>
> Excellent improvisation, knowledge of jazz standards, and definitely
> swinging. Among the living, Johnny Gimble is one of the better known.
> He and Herb Ellis recorded together. Paul Anastasio from the Seattle
> area is another of the many jazz 'fiddlers' relatively unknown to the
> jazz community. Among the deceased are several Bob Wills alumni who
> could hold their own in a swing jam session; Jesse Ashlock, Joe
> Holley, Lou Tierney, etc.
>
> If you listened to the clip of the Time Jumpers posted by listmate Bob
> Newman, you'll get an idea of the swinging skills of western swing
> fiddlers.
>
> Gotta speak up for western swing, the other jazz.
>
> Charlie Hull

If I may be a bit prejudiced, so be it, but my father "Red" Ingle -
toughknown asa tenor and baritone sax and clarinetist most of his life,
was a hell of a fine violinist - fiddler if you will. His Natural Seven
sides are good examples, though that band was noted for parodies of
country western or hillbilly takes on pop tunes. But he was a good jazz
violinist. the times when he played with the Goldkette Victor band on
road trips, he often took the Venuti spots for solos that were on the
records as Venuti did not tour with the band.
He begin as a youngster of five on violin, even getting coaching from
Fritz Krisler who was a friend of Red's father's Austrian employer,  and
took an interest in the little four-eyed redhead. That influence can be
heard in the Spike Jones version of Liebestraum with Red playng a little
Krisler snippet intro  before he lurched into the vocal. (Frank Powers
once described seeing Red with Spike and entering the stage to do Chloe
and said that he "lurched on stage." Dad was a great lurcher.)
Mention of the "instrument of the Devil" noted - Red's grandfather was a
circuit riding Methodist minister  in NW Ohio and did not believe in
dance music or any other music use except by choir or organ in a church
- as strict as the Methodists of old then were. So when Red was learning
to play violin, they had to keep it from his granddad. (One wonder's
what the Rev. T.D. Ingle might have thought of Red's recording of
Cigareets, and Whusky, and Wild, Wild Wimmin?" Seismic readings might
have indicated a lot of turinng over in the grave going on with ample
after shocks!
Early dance band sax players were often also violinists. Ample photos
proof show group shots of the band with all their instruments stacked on
the stand for the photo - and violins quite visible.
I have two of Red's violins he recorded with as well as his curved B
flat Conn soprano sax - and can't
play any of them. Some day they will get placed with appreciative new
owners, but for now they bring some smiles at this household as they
evoke happy memories of times past.

Don Ingle - two weeks until Michigan trout season opens and so the
musical melody connection is  - "Gone Fishing."