[Dixielandjazz] Jazz violinists

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Apr 8 22:22:55 PDT 2010

David M Richoux wrote [in part]:
> My personal musicological thought on this topic is that the term "Fiddler" is much more appropriate a word for the operator of this instrument when Jazz and Violins are related.
> ...... but since Jazz is obviously often regarded as "The Devil's Music" and it has been proven countless times that the Devil plays a Fiddle (not a Violin,)  my choice of terminology is much more appropriate.

Dear Dave,
Well put, as usual.
The fact is that I do not like the violin.
It is on a par (for me) with the soprano sax.
<ducking for cover>
There are exceptions for both instruments, but not many.
Old DJMLers may recall that I've gone down this mouldy fig path before.
However, it has not stopped players of both these 'devil's instruments' being well represented in my record collection.
Very kind regards,
Bill.