[Dixielandjazz] George Webb's Funeral

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 7 13:46:37 PDT 2010

Graham Martin wrote:
> G'day,
>
> Thank you John for the video of George's funeral. The parade band played
> beautifully and that is definitely the right way to show respect to such a
> great pioneer of British jazz.

Hi Graham,
It was indeed a splendid turnout.

> I was delighted to see ex member of the George Webb's Dixielanders, Owen
> Bryce looking so spritely and playing very well. Owen was a mentor of mine,
> oh so many years ago, when I attended his jazz classes at Hendon Tech. I
> still have an old BBC radio recording from those days. The best I can say is
> that there was a lot of enthusiasm. Hey, some of us developed into better
> players later in life - Derek Winters and Alex Maclaren from the old Bodega
> Jazz Band of St Albans, Herts. Alex no longer with us but he wrote a jazz
> tutor with Owen way back in 1968 - "Let's play jazz. Book 1", copies of
> which you can still find on Amazon and the antique book shops. I had heard
> that Owen was no longer playing trumpet but that is most obviously untrue.

I didn't get a chance to speak to Owen at length, so I don't know if he
is playing regularly. As far as I know he is still involved in tuition.
It was an historic occasion to have the three Dixielanders present.

> Thanks George for kick starting the whole British 'hot' jazz scene. And
> thanks to all the very talented musicians who played with George in those
> early years and showed us the way.

I guess the guys in Oz may owe a little to George, although from what I
know of it the revival may have kicked off down under at the same time.
If anybody in the entertainment world deserved an honour it was George
Webb. we should have had Sir George, or Lord George, instead Tony Blair
knighted a whole load of rock wannabes.....

--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com