[Dixielandjazz] George Webb's Funeral

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Mon Apr 5 18:42:42 PDT 2010

G'day,

Thank you John for the video of George's funeral. The parade band played
beautifully and that is definitely the right way to show respect to such a
great pioneer of British jazz.

I was delighted to see ex member of the George Webb's Dixielanders, Owen
Bryce looking so spritely and playing very well. Owen was a mentor of mine,
oh so many years ago, when I attended his jazz classes at Hendon Tech. I
still have an old BBC radio recording from those days. The best I can say is
that there was a lot of enthusiasm. Hey, some of us developed into better
players later in life - Derek Winters and Alex Maclaren from the old Bodega
Jazz Band of St Albans, Herts. Alex no longer with us but he wrote a jazz
tutor with Owen way back in 1968 - "Let's play jazz. Book 1", copies of
which you can still find on Amazon and the antique book shops. I had heard
that Owen was no longer playing trumpet but that is most obviously untrue.

Thanks George for kick starting the whole British 'hot' jazz scene. And
thanks to all the very talented musicians who played with George in those
early years and showed us the way.

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin