[Dixielandjazz] Sweet Fields -- the search

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Apr 5 16:45:16 PDT 2010

Ingemar Wågerman replied:
> The Sweet Field Mystery came up on this list about a decade ago. There is still no further information available. However, I have found a reference to a hymn "Sweet Fields of Eden, I long to Behold" by Emma Pitt, published 1882 in "Chapel Echoes No.1, #d28". I have not been able to find this hymnal so I don´t know the lyrics or the melody. I hope that someone can find "the 8th dwarf"...

Dear Ingemar,
Perhaps you missed Bruce Stangeland's reply to me, with its link to his lead sheet for "In The Sweet Fields of Eden".
Perhaps you may wish to make the comparison.
Very kind regards,
Bill.

<I made a lead sheet of "In The Sweet Fields of Eden" from p. 78-9 of the old hymnal "Sweet Fields of Eden" that Google digitized.
I put the lead sheet on my website for your consideration. <http://www.bestangeland.com/music/InTheSweetFieldsOfEden.pdf>
I compared that tune with the one on the CD you referenced <http://www.new-orleans-delight.dk/cd/cd%20Marilyn.html>. I didn't find much similarity.
Cheers,
Bruce Stangeland