[Dixielandjazz] Mostly For Musicians

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Apr 3 10:31:33 PDT 2010

 Kit Johnson, leader of the Black Swan Jazz Band in Portland, OR sent this out to
all of his sidemen and subs to explain what he expects from them in future as he tries
to make improvements to his band.

Subject: BSCJB: Operating Improvements
Musicians who regularly perform with Black Swan CJB ~
Periodically it is appropriate and even necessary to take a fresh look at an organization
with an eye toward continuous improvement. This is especially true during periods
of business decline caused by broad economic issues or other factors.  "Business
as usual" may not be sustainable, and creative thinking is of paramount importance.
To that end, there are certain changes that must now be considered for Black Swan
as described below if we are to remain viable. Your comments and thoughts are appreciated
and will be given all due consideration prior to implementation.
Side Musician Sales Targets: For several years individual musicians have had an incredible
chance to make extra money through CD sales. Single CDs have been available for purchase
from me at the heavily discounted price of for $8 each - roughly half of the retail
sales price and in some cases less than cost - thereby enabling a profit of up to
$8 each for musicians who participate and sell BSCJB products at non-BSCJB performances
or elsewhere. Unfortunately, no one has yet capitalized on this bit of fortune in
a meaningful way, and it has become clear to me that it is because we lack goals
and a measurement system. Therefore, beginning this year you will each be responsible
for directly selling at least 25 CDs per month ($200 or more extra in your own pocket
each period). For those who fall short of that goal, a deduction will be made from
future performances to make up the difference ($8 times each unit short). If performance
pay does not cover the shortfall then I will plan to send invoices quarterly. We
simply cannot let this opportunity pass us by!
Best Available Pricing: I was dismayed to find that Black Swan has been in many cases
subsidizing your performances with other groups. Although I've always tried to pay
at or above union scale, it has come to my attention that most of you have been accepting
gigs for much less remuneration, in some cases playing for free or "beer and pizza".
Obviously this puts BSCJB at a competitive disadvantage that cannot be maintained.
Therefore, from this point forward I expect that you will perform for BSCJB at "best
available pricing" as well. That is, please report at the end of the year what the
lowest rate you performed for was during the year. That figure will represent your
"assumed value" and will reflect the rate I will be willing to pay in the upcoming
year for your services. A 3% COLA increase will be allowed.
Obligatory Room Sharing: Festival organizers have also been dealing with "belt tightening"
in order to maintain operations. In the past I've tried to reward those willing to
share a room with a few extra dollars. However, that unduly penalizes those responsible
persons who bring a date; a date who will likely spend money and increase the viability
of the event. This is an inequality in our system that needs to be addressed. Therefore,
going forward you will be obligated to share a room at festivals if you do not bring
your spouse or significant other. Similarly, gender will no longer be considered
a factor in regards to room sharing obligations. Like the military, we are too enlightened
in this day and age to make a fuss over minor differences in anatomy.
Song Requests: Critical to our continued success is the need to create demand for
recordings. Unfortunately playing "audience favorites" time and again is not conducive
to product sales, as it eliminates the requirement to purchase the CD in order to
get their "fix". Therefore, song requests will not be granted going forward. You
should simply direct folks to the CD table. If they do not wish to own a physical
CD, they can simply pay for it in advance, donate the CD back to BSCJB, and then
we'll honor the song request. Similarly, we will occasionally poll the audience for
favorite tunes so that we can eliminate those at the top from our play list, thus
avoiding the risk that the consumer is satisfied without actually requesting the
song or paying for the CD.
Practice Regimen & Documentation: Apparently my geniality and understated approach
to management has resulted in a rather cavalier attitude toward preparation. Words
are forgotten on vocals, entrances are missed by instrumentalists, press rolls get
turned around, and certain solos demonstrate a decided lack of inspiration. I could
go on but you see what I mean, I'm sure, and as professionals are embarrassed by
these lapses as I am. It is clear that more practice time is needed. Beginning immediately
you will be required to practice BSCJB material 30 minutes per day, five days per
week. This will be increased to 90 minutes per day for the five days preceding each
performance. To facilitate this change in behavior, I will email blank practice sheets
to you shortly. Please print them, fill them out daily and submit a signed copy to
me at the end of each month.
Memorization: Beginning July 1, 2010 all 300 original arrangements in the book must
be memorized. Music stands and books will not be allowed on stage subsequent to that
time for any of the four or five gigs we are doing per year except in the rare case
that a musician is performing with us for the very first time. This will allow us
to make a better connection with our audience and will sate their need to experience
performances where the artist is always near but not quite at the precipice of disaster.
The implementation of the new practice policy (see above) is anticipated to enable
this objective without further change required.
Replicating Accidental Successes: In some cases audience members cannot seem to tell
the difference between a sophisticated musical passage and a fat clam, and reward
the latter with their applause more than the former. We must avoid the tendency to
be arrogant and "intellectually superior". In fact, we need to take a cue from these
accidental successes and seek to replicate them. In all likelihood our own perception
was wrong and the fat clam did sound better than the sophisticated musical passage.
So make sure to note any such accidental successes and incorporate them in your subsequent
performances so that we maximize audience enjoyment and our resulting popularity.
The new practice regimen should help here as well.
Representation Fees: Black Swan has invested significantly in marketing and promotional
material over the years, including brochures, web sites and such that directly promote
the individual musicians as much as the band in total. This material has contributed
to musicians receiving offers to perform with other groups, to travel internationally
and generally profit. It is therefore appropriate that some compensation be made
to Black Swan for this benefit. Please submit 15% of gross performance proceeds from
this point forward for any non-BSCJB performance that might be styled as "ragtime",
"jazz" or "gospel". Retroactive payment is also required for relevant performances
since you regularly started performing with BSCJB. However, a one-time 33% discount
of all retroactive amounts due will be granted if paid prior to June 20, 2010.
Style & Geographic Exclusivity: As performances become scarcer it is essential that
we maintain some solidarity. Therefore, musicians who wish to regularly perform with
Black Swan must embrace exclusivity in style (ragtime, jazz and gospel) in any location,
as well as exclusivity in North America regardless of style. This will create demand
for the band as a whole and avoid a "survival of the fittest" tendency to only look
out for "number one". Violators will be required to make compensatory retribution
to all other band members for missed opportunities in the amount of 75% of normal
compensation each (discounted from 100% since the musician did not actually need
to be at the performance).
Period Instrument Requirement: In order to be taken seriously as musicians who perform
only archaic music, it is important that we look and act the part. Accordingly, you
need to replace your modern instruments with those that originated between 1890 and
1929 and bring these generationally-appropriate axes to each performance. Be sure
to plan for additional time and space requirements, if needed. Cartage will not be
provided for larger instruments; remember, you chose it in the first place! I recognize
that it may take some time to find vintage drum kits, pianos, Albert system clarinets,
etc., so implementation of this new policy will not occur until June 1.
There may be other changes required as we seek to improve Black Swan's artistic and
financial success. These will be brought to your attention as soon as possible. Meantime,
please comment as you deem necessary, but prepare to embrace this new guidance upon
implementation.
Kit
P.S. Happy April Fools Day!!!

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
rsr at ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551

Check out our latest recording at www.ringwald.com/recordings.htm

Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?