[Dixielandjazz] Sweet Fields

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Apr 2 22:33:50 PDT 2010

> I made a lead sheet of "In The Sweet Fields of Eden" from p. 78-9 of the old hymnal "Sweet Fields of Eden" that Google digitized.
> I put the lead sheet on my website for your consideration. <http://www.bestangeland.com/music/InTheSweetFieldsOfEden.pdf>
> I compared that tune with the one on the CD you referenced <http://www.new-orleans-delight.dk/cd/cd%20Marilyn.html>. I didn't find much similarity.

Dear Bruce,
My apology for the delay in replying.
Thank you for the "In The Sweet Fields Of Eden' lead sheet.
And the link to the New Orleans Delight clip of "Sweet Fields" that, unsurprisingly, has an "Over In The Glory Land" feel to it.
Neither are familiar to me.
Nor, for some reason, I do not have a recorded version of "Sweet Fields" in my collection, that I can find.
I have never been a Ken Colyer fan, so do not have any of his versions and the Australian New Orleans bands do not seem to play it, let alone record it.
At the moment I've reached a dead end on its composer.
But I never give up.
Maybe one day.....
Very kind regards,
Bill.