[Dixielandjazz] VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 15:47:38 PDT 2010

And that is exactly what Kermit Ruffins delivers in his "Livin a Treme Life"
album.

This is yet another purchase I made that was motivated by a fellow
subscriber's request for the lyrics to KR's "Good Morning New
Orleans"..........Hey, youse guys is costing me money.

Well, if you want pure dixieland, you will be disappointed.  However, in
these (12) cuts that I would best describe as blues with a beat, he shows us
his stuff as both trumpeter and vocalist.

His ensemble ranges from quintet to octet, with the dominating instrument
being the marvelous piano of David Torkanowsky.

What was worth the price of the album for me was an approximate 7 1/2 minute
rendition of the Johnny Nash hit "I Can See Clearly Now" where Kermit
expanded the group to ten pieces, employing use of the Bonerama Horns (Mark
Mullins, Craig Klein and Greg Hicks)

Admittedly, Kermit Ruffins ain't no Satchmo, but he'll sure do in a pinch

Tides,
HC.

--
Music you grew up listening to