[Dixielandjazz] "See's Candies Present Songs of Christmas

GeneLynch5 at aol.com GeneLynch5 at aol.com
Sun Sep 27 15:43:05 PDT 2009

A few more facts about this LP to keep our discographers, particularly our
Wizard of Oz, happy.  It was sponsored by See's Candy Shoppes, a western US
 very good candy manufacturing and distribution company whose president at
that  time (1986) was the late Chuck Higgins, a supporter and singer of trad
jazz (Bay  area festivals and others always had samples of See's candy and
support from Mr.  Higgins).  The LP was made by Ted Shafer's Merry Maker's
Record  Company (SC1001) and Mr. Shafer wrote the song notes on the sleeve
back.   Turks picture and a welcome note from Mr. Higgins "are  also on the
sleeve back.  The front has a caricature of Turk Murphy dressed  in a Santa
suit, carrying a bag of toys (and a See's candy box) done by Ward  Kimball,
Disney Artist and Firehouse Five Leader.  The LP was distributed  as a
freebie (I think) at See's stores, which may have required a purchase, but  that
was no problem. It was popular; we had to go to two or three stores before
we found ours.

The band comprised:

Turk Murphy, Ldr, Tb; Bob Schulz, Cornet, Lynn Zimmer, Rds; Ray Shjelbred,
Pno, Cassio; Bill Carroll, Tba;;  John Gill, Bjo, drm.  Vocals by Turk
Murphy, Bob Schulz, John Gill, Jim Maihack and Chuck Higgins. On some tracks
were Bill Armstrong, Bjo and Jim Maihack, Tbn

The songs are:

Christmas Eve, Santa Claus Blues, Storybook Ball,Chimes Blues, Sing Me One
More Christmas Song, My Christmas Dream, Big Bear Stomp, If There Were No
Christmas, Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town Silver Bells, At The Christmas
Ball, O  Christmas Tree,  six songs per side.

A truly wonderful LP, and a pity we only play it in December.  The  world
is a poorer place without Chuck and Turk.

Gene & Betty Lynch
Harbor  City, CA