[Dixielandjazz] Christmas Jazz

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 24 15:03:44 PDT 2009

Gerard Bielderman wrote:
> In Europe there are/were also some Christmas cd's available:
> - Kenny Ball & His Jazzmen: A Dixieland Christmas on Pickwick PWKS
> 4219
> - Rod Mason's Hot Five & Savannah Orchestra: Merry Christmas! on Hot
> Music Records CD 002
> - Frits Kaatee And His Dutch Dixieland All Stars: Swinging Christmas
> on Indisc DICD 3791
> - Dutch Swing College Band: A Happy Dixie Christmas on Pink Records
> 622006003
> Also available was "A GRP Christmas Collection" on GRP 95742 (German
> issue). And I also have a bootlge compilation made in Portugal
> called "A Swinging Christmas" with 15 tracks by Clarence Williams,
> Paul Whiteman, Harry Reser, Ted Weems, Benny Goodman, Fats Waller,
> Louis Armstrong, Lionel Hampton a.o. And eeven the Dutch jazz singer
> Rita Reys made a Christmas LP...

Dear Gerard,
I was going to boycott this thread as Christmas 2009 is still too far
away.
However, your Portuguese 'bootleg' CD reminded me that I have a
similar one from the US called 'Santa Claus Blues' on Jass J-CD-3,
although it does not include Reser or Whiteman.
I also have Louis Armstrong 'Louis Armstrong & Friends 'What A
Wonderful Christmas' (a Hip research copy) and 'Christmas Jubilee' on
VJC-1016 with Basie, Bing, Alvino Ray, Ellington, Perry Como, Tatum,
Nat King Cole, Paul Baron, Sinatra, Mel Blanc, Les Brown a.o. All from
1940s AFRS Christmas Jubilee Shows.
There is plenty of material out there, for those who really want to
bother.
Very kind regards,
Bill.