[Dixielandjazz] Tenor Guitar

Paul Edgerton paul.edgerton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 14:25:04 PDT 2009

Tenor banjos have a short neck and are tuned in fifths. Plectrum
banjos have a longer neck and are typically tuned C-G-B-D. Either
tuning could be used on a four-string guitar. Since the fingering is
very different between these two tunings, most players gravitate
toward one or the other.

One difference in sound is plectrum-tuning chords tend to be in close
position and sound thicker, while tenor-tuning usually results in
widely spread voicings with more high pitches.