[Dixielandjazz] Upright vs. Sit down

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Tue Sep 15 14:06:20 PDT 2009

Shalom Jim,

I can't speak for current US bands. My band generally sits if we're playing
background music for a party or other informal event, and we stand if we're
doing a concert on stage. No historical reason. I was going to suggest that
maybe it's because so many players are aging and not able to stand and play
for long periods of time.

I myself, at 57 and let's say carrying a few extra kilos, find it
uncomfortable to stand for a whole show. However, I do not like to sit
because the sitting position does not permit me to perform with the same
energy. And I don't think it looks nearly as good from the audience. Most of
my players are half my age, and have no problem standing, and prefer to
stand during shows. What I like to do is to use a stool, as you suggested,
so I can almost stand, but have the extra support when I need it. I
generally stand up for singing and solos, and use the stool while playing
backup, ensemble, etc. Often I don't use the stool much at all, but the
psychological value of having it handy helps too.

On the other hand, last night we did a street parade at a Jerusalem
neighborhood street festival, in which we played while strolling (not
marching) up and down the street for nearly 5 hours, with a 15 - 20 minute
break each hour. I surprised myself at how well I was able to keep going.
But today my feet paid the price. Oh, well, it was a great gig, and well
worth it.

All the best.

Elazar
Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band