[Dixielandjazz] Upright vs. Sit down

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Sep 15 02:50:28 PDT 2009

>Hi Listmates:
If you're ever in the SF Bay Area be sure to check out this wonderful band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyC7vc1DKjE&feature=channel_page
-- Rae Ann

I've seen this band in other videos referred to on djml.  Good band,
particularly enjoy the trumpeter.

A question comes to mind, though, while watching the video.  How come so
many bands in the U.S. tend to sit down?  As a brass player, standing is so
much a better position to be in, for the breathing & for the swinging.

Is the reason a "call to the past", where we see early New Orleans jazzmen
sitting in old photographs?  If so, why try to emulate the past so much, and
then lament not capturing the present?

If the reason is the age of the performer & his/her ability to stay upright
during a whole performance, then a nearby stool can be used as a prop when
necessary....but, you're still upright & above the heads of the listeners.

Jim