[Dixielandjazz] Tenor Guitar

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Tue Sep 15 09:36:18 PDT 2009

Rick wrote about earlier days in Colorado Springs:

"The Blue Blowers were a precursor to The Hoosier Hot Shots, who started
on the National Barn Dance & migrated to Hollywood.  They had Clarinet,
> Washboard, Bass and Tenor Guitar, and their sound was very distinctive...
> Spike Jones cites the Hot Shots as one of his major influences."
>

> Rick (Jolley) Zahniser
> Tombstone, AZ
> http://rixwest.com

Interseting how connections with places as well as people show up here.
I spent first two years of college at Colorado College inthe Springs
inthe early '50, ad gigged with Paul Trietch Jr., his dad the "Hezzie"
of the Hoosier Hot Shots, and with a fraternity brother, (a couple years
ahead of us), Max Morath, who had a local afternoon radio show at the
time. We had a clarinet, Paul played a little drums and guitar, myself
on cornet, and of course Max on piano -  a one man rhythm section in his
own right.
Stubby Heist of our list spent some time playing in the Springs area,
though later than our "Beta All Stars."
Then of course, my old man was a major part of the classic Spike Jones
period of the 40's, so the links, if not direct, seem to keep cropping
up. As one of our earliest listees was know to say. "Is this a great
list or what?"
Don Ingle