[Dixielandjazz] Tenor Guitar

Rick rickz at usermail.com
Tue Sep 15 08:25:22 PDT 2009

Eddie Condon was one of my earliest influences on
guitar.  He was famous for being able to put
together backup groups and did that for Fats
Waller many times.  My favorite album of Eddie's
was a 10" LP which had cuts by "The Mound City
Blue Blowers."  This included Kazoo, Guitar, and
a suitcase wrapped in paper in lieu of drums.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mound_City_Blue_Blowers
Interestingly, the Wiki article does not mention
Eddie!

The Tenor gives a lighter sound than a big Arch
top 6-string, and is more percussive (but less so
than a banjo)  Benny Goodman said that he
wanted rhythm guitar for the PLAYERS, and not
necessarily for the audience.

The Blue Blowers were a precursor to The Hoosier
Hot Shots, who started on the National Barn Dance
& migrated to Hollywood.  They had Clarinet,
Washboard, Bass and Tenor Guitar, and their sound
was very distinctive.  You can here that sound
here by a modern counterpart:  "The Washboard
Wizardz"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fTKjdIairY
In that youtube vicinity, you can hear the Wizardz
with banjo, and the original Hot Shots.

Spike Jones cites the Hot Shots as one of his
major influences.

Skiffle Music (rent music) was a natural offshoot
of this type of music.  When I formed a skiffle
group in Colorado Springs -- with Annie Lenoir on
Clarinet & Dave Deason on Washboard -- I could get
a pretty decent facsimile of a tenor guitar sound
by playing close to the neck (away from the
bridge) with the same sort of rhythm stroke you
can see Kurt Abel playing.

Fun music, but we couldn't find a place to play in
that town which is now (sadly) dominated by Blues.
(Couldn't make a trad band fly either.)

Rick (Jolley) Zahniser
Tombstone, AZ
http://rixwest.com

PS:  You can hear "Rick Jolley and the Green
Giants" here on my website.
http://rixwest.com/green_giants.htm