[Dixielandjazz] Big Bear, Bude festival and Kalispell

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Sun Sep 6 04:35:51 PDT 2009

Marek said
> Hello folks,
> If you want to know about Gabriel's horn, or shimmying like your
> sister Kate, what better way to learn about those matters than
> hearing them from lismate Judy Eames, as told (sung) on "Jim Beatty
> and the Big Bear Stompers - Together...Live" (JBD 3,

Thanks for the plug Marek.
  I remember the live session well and we're still in touch with the
Beatties occasionally,
The band folded for a while when our leader, Dave Moorwood, was poached
by a fully pro band.  We reformed about 4 years ago and had the good
luck to have Jim Maihack do a mini-tour and live recording with us.

Our current line up ranges in age from early 30s to early 70s and the
two "youngsters" Graham Hughes(tbn)and Ben Cummins (tpt) can always find
superb "deps".  At Bude last week we had Paul Tkachenko on tuba and
Francesco (Senden?) on piano; both of them young and hugely talented.  I
think the band is playing better than ever. I know  that  you can't get
over here at the moment.... maybe we can come to you? :-)  Meanwhile
there's a link  to the Bears from my website so you can hear some tracks.

Bude Festival went very well despite the rain, Jeff and Anne Barnhart
were there as usual and are playing in the UK for about a month, they're
by no means the youngest any more.! The younger musicians (some still in
their teens) are beginning to attract some young followers so we're just
waiting for the revival !!

Finally Kalispell...... Tony Davis and I were invited to come when we
met Karla on a couple of Jazzsea cruises. We're going to do some guest
spots with one of the festival trios.  Hope to see some of you there.

Jude

www.judyeames.co.uk