[Dixielandjazz] More is better? Not necessarily!

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Sep 3 01:58:14 PDT 2009

Interesting how the thread about special moments evolved into "going over
time".  We don't have the problem of running over into another artist's
time, as we are usually the only act.  However, we do get the "encore,
encore"  (or, in our case it's in Spanish which is "otro, otro") regularly.

>From a performer's view, it is nice to hear the shout after a real hot set.
It is not so nice to hear when your crowd (speaking more about clubs here)
has been so-so, and not paying all that much attention.  Then, you say
goodbye, and they suddenly want more!   :>

If it has been that kind of crowd (poorish), we don't play another.  If it
has been (& this is more often the case, honest!) a great crowd, and they
chant enough, we will play another song.  The Saints is a favorite, and one
of the few that a mixed language crowd tends to be able to sing along with.

However, a rousing encore will only stir the crowd on to more shouting of
encore.  We successfully use a trick to slow everyone down (and be able to
get outa there!):  we play two choruses of Mood Indigo, very slow & very,
very quiet, as a second encore.  That, with a huge "Good Night" afterward,
will usually get us on our way home.

Don't forget, we're talking about 7 to 12 nights in a row, and as it is we
don't get to bed before 3am!

There is another factor in what is a "set".  If the set is 45 minutes, then
the song setup, be it prepared in advance or on the spot (judging the
audience reaction during the set), will have its "beginning & end".  If it
is a 1,5 hr set, the same goes.....there is a beginning & an end.  One plans
to reach a sort of goal, or climax, by the end.  That climax can be extended
over an encore or two, but then the whole thing can become an anti-climax.
A performer can feel that, and needs to control it to leave the audience in
the best mood possible.

Jim