[Dixielandjazz] FRANK CARLSON

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Wed Oct 28 22:06:15 PDT 2009

Bill Haesler wrote:
> Robert Ringwald wrote:
>> I spoke with 88 year old Uan Rasey.  He was on staff at MGM from 1949
>> to 1963.
>> He says it was he on the trumpet on the cartoon.  He also says, Gus
>> Bavona cl, Dick Knoll tbn, Red Mitchell bass, Matt Rakins piano &
>> Frank Carlson drums.
>
> Dear Bob,
> Well there we go!
> The information was out there all the time.
> Many thanks, Uan and Bob.
> So who were these studio men?
> Unfortunately, their recordings only tell part of the story.
>
> UAM RASEY (t). With Sonny Dunham orch (1941-42), then Kay Kyser, Harry
> James (44-45 & 47), long periods with Billy May (40s to 80s),  to MGM
> in 1949, Paul Weston, Dave Matthews, Billy May, Frank DeVol, Lou
> Bring, Harold Mooney, Clyde McCoy, Ray Anthony, Glen Gray (60-61) and
> Louis Bellson. He was on a Pete Kelly orch session (1953) and on
> recordings by Peggy Lee, Hoagy Carmichael, Kay Starr and Mel Torme.
>
> GUS BIVONA (cl). First professional jobs in 1932, with Will Hudson
> (1937-38), Bunny Berigan, (38-39), Teddy Powell, (39-40), Benny
> Goodman (40-41), Jan Savitt (41-43), Tommy Dorsey (45), Bob Crosby
> (45-47, Benny Goodman (47), to MGM in 1947, Buddy DeFranko,  Ray
> Anthony, Jack Teagarden (56), Glen Gray, Four Freshmen, own band, Red
> Norvo, Harry James (70) and Terry Gibbs, (71)
>
> DICK NOLL (tb). No information. Is this the correct spelling?
>
> RED MITCHELL (sb). From late 1940s with Charlie Ventura, Woody Herman
> (1950-51), Jimmy Dorsey, Gerry Mulligan, Red Norvo, Chet Baker,
> Leonard Feather, Billy Holiday's 1954 European tour, Bob Brookmeyer,
> Jimmy Rowles, Vic Lewis, Andre Previn, Hampton Hawes, Barney Kessell,
> Mel Torme, Bill Holiday's 1957 Verve recordings, June Christy, Shorty
> Rogers, Stan Kenton, own quartret, Louis Bellson, Shelly Manne and on
> and on into the 90s (at least).
>
> MATT RAKINS (p) No information. Is this the correct spelling?
> Could it have been Milt Raskin who was with Gene Krupa (1938-39),
> Teddy Powell, and Tommy Dorsey before going into the studios in the
> 1940s.
>
> FRANK CARLSON (d). Woody Herman from 1936-43, then Los Angeles and the
> studios, Red Nichols, Bob Crosby, Eddie Miller, Billy Eckstine, Four
> Freshmen and Stan Kenton,
>
> Now all we have to find are the finer details for the Pee Wee Hunt
> discography.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

HOO-RAH - ANOTHER NAME FROM THE PAST - Frank Carlson.
I can give a first hand and  absolutely true story about Frank Carlson.
I know - I was there and part of it.
He had left Woody and was hired by Spike Jones. The band had a rare
weekend off and dad (Red Ingle for new lurkers) and I were going to go
up to trout fish on the Sespe River. Frank heard that and said he was a
trout fisherman, too, and could he join us. He was invited at once. That
trip almost proved a distastrous one. At one point, Frank had climbed up
a steep shale overlook over a very deep pool on the river and saw big
trout sitting on the bottom. We were on the others side of this large
deep hole and watched as he squirmed his way closer and closer to the
overlook edge as he tried to get his line down into the water where the
big trout were. The gravel and loose shale under him acted like ball
bearings and he started to slide and was suddenly airborn, head first,
fly rod clutched tighly, as he entered - make that plummeted - into the
pool. We thought he was a goner, until we saw him walk up underwater to
our side until he emreged from the water, waders splurging water and he
spitting out enough Sespe water  to fill a bottle. He sat down to catch
his breath and let the adrenaline subside. At that point Red said, in
his best quiet and ironicly dry and deadpan way, "We better not mention
this to Spike. He might add it in the act."
Don Ingle