[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Droopy & Pee Wee Runt, Personnel

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 28 15:46:52 PDT 2009

Robert Ringwald wrote:
> I spoke with 88 year old Uan Rasey.  He was on staff at MGM from
> 1949 to 1963.
> He says it was he on the trumpet on the cartoon.  He also says, Gus
> Bavona cl, Dick Knoll tbn, Red Mitchell bass, Matt Rakins piano &
> Frank Carlson drums.

Dear Bob,
Well there we go!
The information was out there all the time.
Many thanks, Uan and Bob.
So who were these studio men?
Unfortunately, their recordings only tell part of the story.

UAM RASEY (t). With Sonny Dunham orch (1941-42), then Kay Kyser, Harry
James (44-45 & 47), long periods with Billy May (40s to 80s),  to MGM
in 1949, Paul Weston, Dave Matthews, Billy May, Frank DeVol, Lou
Bring, Harold Mooney, Clyde McCoy, Ray Anthony, Glen Gray (60-61) and
Louis Bellson. He was on a Pete Kelly orch session (1953) and on
recordings by Peggy Lee, Hoagy Carmichael, Kay Starr and Mel Torme.

GUS BIVONA (cl). First professional jobs in 1932, with Will Hudson
(1937-38), Bunny Berigan, (38-39), Teddy Powell, (39-40), Benny
Goodman (40-41), Jan Savitt (41-43), Tommy Dorsey (45), Bob Crosby
(45-47, Benny Goodman (47), to MGM in 1947, Buddy DeFranko,  Ray
Anthony, Jack Teagarden (56), Glen Gray, Four Freshmen, own band, Red
Norvo, Harry James (70) and Terry Gibbs, (71)

DICK NOLL (tb). No information. Is this the correct spelling?

RED MITCHELL (sb). From late 1940s with Charlie Ventura, Woody Herman
(1950-51), Jimmy Dorsey, Gerry Mulligan, Red Norvo, Chet Baker,
Leonard Feather, Billy Holiday's 1954 European tour, Bob Brookmeyer,
Jimmy Rowles, Vic Lewis, Andre Previn, Hampton Hawes, Barney Kessell,
Mel Torme, Bill Holiday's 1957 Verve recordings, June Christy, Shorty
Rogers, Stan Kenton, own quartret, Louis Bellson, Shelly Manne and on
and on into the 90s (at least).

MATT RAKINS (p) No information. Is this the correct spelling?
Could it have been Milt Raskin who was with Gene Krupa (1938-39),
Teddy Powell, and Tommy Dorsey before going into the studios in the
1940s.

FRANK CARLSON (d). Woody Herman from 1936-43, then Los Angeles and the
studios, Red Nichols, Bob Crosby, Eddie Miller, Billy Eckstine, Four
Freshmen and Stan Kenton,

Now all we have to find are the finer details for the Pee Wee Hunt
discography.
Very kind regards,
Bill.