[Dixielandjazz] Pee Wee Hunt and then some

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Tue Oct 27 15:10:51 PDT 2009

My dad was a member of the Goldkette stable in Detroit - operated much
like the Lester Lanin NY office, with bands assembled from the signed
players under different leaders for each gig. A few bands were set up
with regulars, others ad hoc to fit the gig. The key band was the Victor
band with Bix and Tram, and dad did get to be a part of that during his
Goldkette days (1926-29.)
Pee Wee Hunt (real first name Walter) was past of the Orange Blossoms,
led by Hank Biagini. Dad noted that this leader was not liked by most of
the men in it,so "one day they fired the leader" The members
incorporated as the Casa Loma Band, fronted by Glenn Grey Knobloch. It
was actually led by Mel Jensen, a violinist from Toledo.
But when the "name bands" were not playing a gig in town or on tour,
members were swapped to fill in with other Glodkette "Units."
In one situation, Goldkette had the contract for music on Bob Lo (Bois
Blanc) Island, a Canadian Island in the Detroit River with a dance
pavilion and lots of good booze since there was no prohibition in
Canada. There were two bands on this gig, one to play on the ferry
excursion boat enroute to the Island, the other to play at the Island.
Dad was in the "Vagabonds", led by pianist Fred Bergen, with bassist
Steve Brown, trumpeter Fuzzy Farrar, Jimmy Dorsey, and others in the
stable at that time. My mother would go along with dad and dance to the
band on the boat with Pee Wee Hunt in it, then when they were on the
island, Pee Wee would dance with my mother while dad played. This story,
told by my dad for many years, was confirmed when Pee Wee Came through
Lansing MI in '52 where I was winding up college at Michigan State. I
picked mom up at our then family home in Ovid, MI and brought her to the
club where Pee Wee was playing and during intermission he would sit with
us and spin tales of that time, telling the story of their "dance
date"all over.
It was an interesting time in Detroit. The Goldkette office owned the
Graystone Ballroom, and when the Victor band was not playing, they had
the McKinny's Cotton Pickers booked, with Don Redman as leader. Another
popular Goldkette unit was led by Chuck Wallcott, who later became
musical director for Disney, underscoring many of the classic Disney
cartoons of the 40-60's. Russ  Morgan was part of the Goldkette Stable,
and also wrote and orchestrated for the Detroit Symphony. (Used to bring
arrangments by for my dad to copy parts from as dad's copy hand made for
the cleanest chart parts in town according to Morgan.) The Detroit
Athletic Club house band was led by Tommy Dorsey for a time. Both
Dorseys put in their hitch with the remarkable musical "empire" of Jean
Goldkette. Musicians and jazz mavens alike can only salute the existence
of Goldkette's impact of both jazz and the beginnings of much of the big
bands that followed.
(It was a great time to be young and part of it - my dad was 19, just
married,when he joined up in 1926. Thankfully, I listened well when he
talked of his "great days" in Detroit. Great they were.
Pee Wee Hunt's thread made this flow of memory begin. My brain smiles!
Don Ingle