[Dixielandjazz] Louis & Dizzy

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 25 08:48:15 PDT 2009

On Oct 25, 2009, at 12:46 AM, Jack Mitchell wrote:

>> Barbone wrote: If you thought Louis Armstrong and Dizzy Gillespie
>> hated each others  music, check this out. Probably from a Jackie
>> Gleason show.
>
> It's from the TIMEX SHOW, January 7, 1959.
>
> Best wishes
> Jack Mitchell

Thanks Jack. That prompted me to look up the Timex show and I found a
very interesting write up about it on a blog. Complete with other You
Tubes from the show. They also feature Bobby Hackett, Gene Krupa, with
the Armstrong All Stars.

As well as a rousing Perdido with Louis, and Duke Ellington's
Orchestra though the chaos at the end and and Cat Anderson's high
squeals might be a little much for some of the traddies on the list.
<grin>  It is in medley form after Umbrella man.

The blog and other you tubes of this show are at

http://dippermouth.blogspot.com/2009/01/50-years-of-fourth-timex-show-and-duet.html

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband