[Dixielandjazz] Coffee, Beer and Jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 15:30:10 PDT 2009

Hi Ken,
There is a reason Americans drink their beer cold, and no, it is not
because it is so flavourless.  Even in the UK, lager beer is served
cold (even McEwan's), unlike the ales and bitters (a type of ale,
really), which are served at about 13 centigrades.  It has to do with
the brewing temperature of the various types of beer.  I tried to
drink Old Speckled Hen and Bellhaven very cold (as served in a Raanana
- my home town) pub, and they were tasteless.  So now, if I'm planning
to go there, I call the bar and ask for my ale to be taken out of the
refrigerator and left on the counter for an hour.  That way I get
excellent beer there.

At home, I refrigerate ales for just a short time, often for 15
minutes in the freezer, and then they are just fine and go extremely
well with my jazz.

Cheers