[Dixielandjazz] Coffee and Jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 19 07:00:30 PDT 2009

> "Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com> wrote
>

> Ah, hah!  Caught you all!  Lots of strong comments about likes &
> dislikes
> about coffee....thereby exposing passion!
>
> Naturally, in all good things there is passion.  There is passion in
> our
> love for jazz.  There is passion in our love for coffee.  What we
> should not
> allow is for OUR passion to make demands on someone else's passion.
> THAT
> was my message & my reason for bringing coffee into this discussion.
>
> I'm struggling to not fall into my own trap of not being openminded
> here,
> but I must still make a complaint about those big paper cups with
> plastic
> bubbles on the top & a straw coming out of Starbucks.
>
> Granted, it may be refreshing.  Granted, there are most likely many
> lovely
> concoctions.  Granted, they have exotic names.  I would guess,
> though, that
> there is only a hint of coffee flavor in them.  A coffee shop
> (chain, in
> this case) shouldn't sell itself on coffee if it's main draw is
> something
> other than.  Much like a band (or a festival) shouldn't bill itself
> as jazz
> if it is really something else.

Jim, you caught yourself above. In paragraph four, you "guess" about
the flavor and the"hint" of coffee in them etc. But you have never
tasted them. So your conclusion about the power of marketing, while
exhibiting passion, is baseless.

Starbucks, it seems, is expanding all over the world and millions of
people, it seems, buy their product. Marketing? Can Marketing persuade
people to buy things they do not like on a continuing basis? If so,
Dixieland should triumph over Rap, if only we would market it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone