[Dixielandjazz] Back To Music not Purists & Coffee

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Mon Oct 19 11:20:45 PDT 2009

Hi Al,
I play piano and banjo, have played sax & bassoon.  Staccato means  stop
the note immediately after producing it.  Mark number two means,  "legato" or
shape and extend the note almost past it's full value. Your mark  number 3
has to have context.  Sometimes on banjo music that means a down  stroke with
the pick.  But in the music language world at large it is a  marcato.  It
indicates that the note should be played  distinctly.  To me, it is a more
subtle accent than is your number four  which is generally interpreted as
playing the note louder than surrounding  non-accented notes.

It was a really good bassoon teacher that truly helped me practice and
understand that every single note produced had a beginning, a middle and an
end,  that good musicians controlled all three aspects of each note to  express
music.  Somewhere along adult life I also learned that  expression is
"pressing out", that which is within, a worthy meditation  subject for musicians.
Ginny

In a message dated 10/19/2009 11:17:27 A.M. Central Daylight Time,