[Dixielandjazz] Sing Song Girl

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sun Oct 18 16:19:33 PDT 2009

Hi Allan,
I have needed to dance as fast as I can to try and catch up just a bit with
 coming late to jazz also.  With questions like yours about Sing Song Girl
I  start with the Internet looking up the song, the composer, the era, the
slang, etc.  Since my once upon a time schooled history had almost  nothing
to do with the twentieth century, it has been a wonderful way to finally
learn a bit more history.

As far as coming late to using one ears for finding melodies and chords I
don't know any fast or painless way to begin that.  I am of the opinion
that this ability is on a bell curve as is whatever an IQ test  measures, etc.
So all I know to advise is to start with simple tunes you  know well, trail
and error or such as the melody to say, "Happy Birthday", then  the chords,
then try again on another starting note; i.e., in another  key.  We may
never get expert but we can get better than we were.
Ginny

In a message dated 10/18/2009 4:54:13 A.M. Central Daylight Time,