[Dixielandjazz] Sing Song Girl

Allan Brown allanbrown at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Oct 18 02:44:28 PDT 2009

Thanks again folks. It's a pretty bizarre song, I can't work out what it's
supposed to be about. Was it originally part of a stage show or something?

Thanks for the fakebook leads. Goodness, that Charles Anderson collection is
astonishing! There must be hundreds of gems buried in there. However, I
think I'll begin by looking about the http://www.ultimatebanjo.com/ site.
The trouble is I know so few of the songs that I wouldn't really know where
to begin.

I have real trouble trying to transcribe or even play melody lines and
chords from tunes I like (or dislike for that matter.) I tried for hours to
work out the melody for Persian Rug of my guitar and when the lead sheets
came through I realised I wasn't even close. I know there's no quick fix for
this sort of thing, but I refuse to be beaten and am very riled by the
thought that some people have a natural gift for this and I don't!

Does anyone have any thoughts about the most effective way of developing
this skill?

Allan