[Dixielandjazz] Sing Song Girl

Allan Brown allanbrown at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Oct 17 15:55:16 PDT 2009

Dear all,

Thank you for your kind response to my request for help tracking down a lead
sheet for 'Persian Rug'. It's great - I'm enjoying trying to play it on my
ukulele.

I don't want to be a pain but I've got another request. I'm trying to find
the song 'Sing Song Girl' which is another R Crumb and the Cheap Suit
Serenaders cover and I think may originally have been played by LeRoy
Shield's Orchestra.

If anyone could recommend the best fake book that covers 1920's / 30's tunes
it may well save you all a lot of time. I love Dixieland music, although
I've only just realised that I do, and ashamed to say in amongst this great
music I seem to be inexplicably drawn to the comedy/ novelty side of things.

I am a musical novice - but not through lack of effort! I play a bit of
string bass, on a custom left hand bass (I carved the neck and shaped a
fingerboard and stuck it on a broken plywood student bass - it actually
plays pretty well and sounds great) and I'm learning the clarinet with my
daughter. I've also just got into the ukulele and am really enjoying trying
to get a passable tune out of it.

I'm based in Brighton, UK. There's not a lot of live Dixieland music around,
but I'm excited that I've got tickets to see Bob Brozman play in a few of
weeks time. It's his playing on those Serenaders albums that has made me
want to learn these songs.

Thanks again,

All the best,

Allan

(PS. A lead sheet for 'Chasin Rainbows' by the Dallas String Band (I think)
wouldn't go amiss either!)