[Dixielandjazz] Time Travel & Firehouse Five + 2

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 13 20:33:15 PDT 2009

> David M Richoux <tubaman at tubatoast.com> wrote
>
> In 1955 my family lived just a few miles away from Disneyland, then
> under construction. Just before it opened, my father was stationed to
> a Navy base on Guam, so we all went along. Totally missed the grand
> opening of the park and didn't get back to Southern California until
> 1958. However, I watched Mickey Mouse Club faithfully (also the Howdy-
> Doodie Show) and I do vaguely remember seeing some of those Firehouse
> 5+2 performances.
>
> So between those shows, the Spike Jones TV show, Ernie Kovacs, Rocky
> and Bullwinkle and a few other strange TV shows) my musical tastes
> were set to "OKOM, Hokum, and Novelty" at a very young age!   (My
> mother did not do anything to discourage this, by the way ;-)

What helped get me, and many of my generation interested in OKOM was
the Cartoon Music from movie cartoons. Most all of us went to the
movies every Saturday at 1 PM to see a Western, and about a half hour
of cartoons. The cartoon music was almost always some form of
Dixieland. So, from about age 10 on, we were exposed to it on a weekly
basis and associating a good time with it. It was a natural
progression to appreciating the real thing, when we got a little older
and could hear it on the radio.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband