[Dixielandjazz] Gig-etymology- Charlie Suhor writes

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Oct 9 05:53:08 PDT 2009

To: Musicians and Jazzfans list;  DJML & Bill Campbell

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

This is a continuing discussion about the etymology of the word "gig" as
relates to a musician's job.  It was initiated by Bill Campbell, super
jazzfan, retired military officer and current journalist in Ft. Walton Beach
area.  He plans a column about it and will give contributors credit.  He's a
member of the Musicians and Jazzfans list, so he'll get it that way.  Or you
can address him as listed above.

Explanatory note:  I have left all the correspondence here ( contrary to my
usual effort to reduce redundancy) so that, if you desire to review it, you
can see how this originated with Campbell's request.

Jazz percussionist, historian and author Charlie Suhor of Montgomery, AL
makes this contribution: