[Dixielandjazz] Buck Clayton

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Mon Oct 12 16:22:03 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stan Brager" <sbrager at verizon.net>
To: "'Ken Mathieson'" <ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk>; "'Dixieland Jazz
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2009 10:06 PM
Subject: RE: [Dixielandjazz] Buck Clayton

Stan Brager wrote:

> I have the "Songs For Swingers" LP which was issued by Columbia on CL1320.
> I'd often wondered why Mosaic didn't include it on their Complete Buck
> Clayton Jam Sessions release. Possibly because "Songs..." was a more
> formal
> setting. I haven't seen any re-issue of the LP. I know that Phillips
> issued
> many Columbia LPs in Europe. I picked up a few in Germany and France when
> was in the service.

I've got it on Philips, but it's been played endlessly in the intervening 49
years so it's not in great condition now. I suspect one reason it's never
been re-issued on CD is that it doesn't run long enough and there are
probably no alternative takes worth releasing. Pity, as it's a mainstream
classic.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk