[Dixielandjazz] blind spots???

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 11 16:37:34 PDT 2009

I suppose the real question is whether you can HEAR what the musician is doing, or saying.  Humph the variously wise does observe in one of his books that especially the more innovative jazz musicians have tended to regard the playing of others as NOT MY FIELD.  Hawkins came back from Europe and as I recall from my reading said that Lester was doing nothing new
Hawkins was I think preoccupied at the time with Bach and Bachian harmony and finding where the next note could come from that would allow him to explore the boundaries of emotional freedom and control as in BODY AND SOUL
That's where his mind was and that's why Lester didn't interest him especially

Other musicians and listeners tend to begin with an attention span which has similar limitations, obviously seldom because of having an independent musical vision like Hawk, but usually in terms of freedom and control of response
If grace has descended and they can talk of blind spots rather than MY PERSONAL TASTE