[Dixielandjazz] Buck Clayton & Terrassi's

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 9 18:28:48 PDT 2009

Dear Marek and List Mates:

Excerpts from Buck Clayton's Jazz World. (Autobiography) Time frame is
1950-52

"Gigs (one time jobs, my note) were mostly the thing of the day. There
were not too many jobs that were steady unless you belonged with a few
chosen musicians that played regularly in the Village at the jazz
joints there such as Nick's, Eddie Condon's, etc . . . One day I met
Tony Parenti who asked me what I was doing and I told him just what
was happening. . . . I didn't expect him to have any gigs for me,
because I only knew about two dixieland numbers and I wasn't too sure
of those."

"Tony says to me, 'Buck, I have a group but we only play dixieland. We
sure would like to work with you if you'd be intersted in learning
some dixieland tunes. . . ."

"We met at Tony's . . . and I began to get my first lessons in
dixieland. . . before long i was beginning to get the drift of things
and I kinda liked it. The main thing I learned about dixieland was
getting the format together. There are certain routines of dixieland
numbers, certain modulations, and once you learn these routines you
are on your way, as you can play anything you want on your solos. So I
learned the formats, but when it came time for my solo, I would play a
typical Kansas City style solo. Sandy Williams (Ellington and Chick
Webb trombonist - my note) was a big help to me in learning because he
had also learned how to play dixieland . . . "

"After several gigs with Tony and Sandy, I went into a jazz house off
Broadway called Lou Terrassi's. Lou's place was a swinging joint and
was a favorite place for jazz fans that didn't want to go down to the
Village. All of the guys from Broadway would come in and listen to
such guys as Buster Bailey, Willie 'The Lion' Smith, Red Allen,
Charlie Shavers, and a lot of others. So I went in with Kenny Kersey,
Herb Fleming and Sol Yaged and we stayed there for some time. It was
really something else because the room was dark and there was rally
some good jazz coming out of that place. Lou, however, later sold the
place and moved to Florida but it sure was a pleasant gig while it
lasted." END EXCERPTS

Clayton's experiences were similar to those of a lot of black, big
band "swing" musicians around that time
in New York City. Big band swing gigs virtually disappeared and so
guys like Clayton, Vic Dickenson, Jonah Jones, Wilbur DeParis, Sidney
DeParis, Sandy Williams, and others all learned how to play Dixieland
in order to make a living. And as Clayton said, a "Kansas City"
influence merged in to the NY and/or Condon, and/or New Orleans
Revival (Conrad Janis) styles that were prevalent in the Big Apple in
the 1950s. It is too bad that not much of it was recorded back then as
it was very powerful dixieland jazz.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband