[Dixielandjazz] Lou Terrasi's Jazz Club in NYC

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 9 08:20:43 PDT 2009

Richard Flecknell asked about Lou Terrasi's joint in NYC circa early
1950s. And extolled the virtues of Roy Eldridge's Dixieland style.

Hello Richard:

No, 1952 was not too early for me regarding visits to jazz joints in
NYC. I started visiting them in 1949, being brought there often
(underage) on weekends by a neighbor, clarinetist Hank D'Amico.

Did I know about Lou Terrasi's? Sure, it was on West 47th Street. Some
of the old "Dr Jazz" radio broadcasts were live, from there. Guys like
Buck Clayton, Bobby Hackett, Charlie Shavers, Roy Eldridge, Gene
Sedric, Ken Kersey and Vic Dickenson played there. I think some CD re-
issues of those sessions may be available today.

Yes indeed, Roy Eldridge played some hot Dixieland. I remember a
series of gigs I played with him in 1961 in Southampton Long Island.
One at the Hampton Arts Theatre and others at private parties given by
the beautiful people in their mansions and beach houses.

He finished his playing career at the "new" Ryan's after that. Once,
an older female fan came up to him and said something like; "Mr
Eldridge, I didn't know you could play Dixieland". He laughed and
replied; "That's what I've been playing all my life."

Heck of a player, very competitive, he loved to out play other
trumpeters on gigs. (eg JATP sessions) They most always (even
Gillespie) let him go last because nobody wanted to follow him.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband