[Dixielandjazz] The Second Line

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Oct 8 10:51:51 PDT 2009

Hope this does not drag out as much as Panama/Panama Rag thread, but
there are two very different New Orleans songs that are sometimes
called "Second Line" - one is more correctly named  "Joe Avery's
Piece" (or a bunch of other names that have been mentioned on DJML
before) and the other is "Barbarin's Second Line"
http://new.music.yahoo.com/onward-brass-band/tracks/paul-barbarins-second-line--725003
  is just one example.
http://redwing.lassecollin.se/sounds/joeaveryspiece.html is a slightly
non-standard version of "Joe Avery."

So if you are playing either one, be sure to agree which "2nd Line" it
is - in my experience as a tuba player, it makes a whole lot of
difference!

Dave Richoux