[Dixielandjazz] Much More Panama

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Wed Oct 7 11:12:58 PDT 2009

This tune "Panama (A Characteristic Novelty)" by William H. Tyers was
written as a tango in 1911 for, and named after, a well-known vaudeville act
Aida Overton-Walker and her Panama Girls who possibly took their name from the
 Central American country with the famous canal, although there is a Panama
City  located on the panhandle of northwest Florida on the Gulf of Mexico,
a popular  tourist location. A totally different tune written and published
in 1904 by Cy  Seymour is "Panama Rag" (as recorded by the New Orleans
Ragtime Orchestra) part  of the plethora of compositions reflecting American
pride in the construction of  the Panama Canal, begun by a French company in
1881 and completed by the  Americans between 1904 and 1914. I know of at least
16 compositions which  mention "Panama" in their title. The next time I hear
a British band announce  "Panama Rag" and then play "Panama" I shall
scream. By the way, the final strain  usually played as the last chorus in
"Panama" is not as written by Tyers, but is  a Fess Manetta interpolation,
according to Butch Thompson and Charlie DeVore,  who should know. Something similar
occurs with the confusion between "Sensation  Rag" written by Eddie Edwards
and recorded by the ODJB and innumerable others,  and the tune also referred
to by the same title written by Joseph Francis Lamb  and recorded by Mutt
Carey's New Yorkers under the title of "Joplins Sensation".  In fact the
proper title is "Sensation - A Rag". The Joplin connection is that  he
befriended Lamb, a white composer often thought to have been black because of  his
composing style, and helped with the arrangement. Please don't get me  started
on "Tell Me Your Dream" almost invariably introduced as "Tell Me Your
Dreams" thereby losing much of the lyric's import, and proof that many vocalists
 aren't and shouldn't. I once heard "Panama" announced as a band's next
number, "  ..... composed by Luis Russell" which one supposes is an error
brought about by  Russell's alleged birth in the Central American country,
Panama. Check out the  Russell entry for further details. I notice from Hillman's
Dave Nelson that  Richard M. Jones composed and recorded (with Bertha
"Chippie" Hill) in 1926 a  number called "Panama Limited Blues" but this referred
to a train on the  Illinois Central line from Chicago to New Orleans. The
late Aida Overton-Walker,  born Feb. 14, 1880 - died Oct. 1, 1914, wife of
comedian George Walker, was  dubbed by the Defender " in 1935 as the original
"Queen of the Curves." She  began her career as a teenage chorus member of
"Black Patti's Troubadours." In  1899 she met George Walker, and they married
in 1899. After she worked as a  choreographer for Williams and Walker, her
husband's vaudevillian comedy duo. By  presenting ragtime musicals with all
Black casts, Williams and Walker helped  forward authentic Black songs and
dances to a form of entertainment previously  dominated by demeaning minstrel
shows. Some sources say her Panama Girls  performed at a joint known as the
Panama Café and collected tips in a novel and  indelicate manner unavailable
to those of a male persuasion. Luis Carl   Russell is generally supposed to
have been born 1902, Aug 5 at Careening  Cay, Panama, but strictly speaking
this should be Columbia, not Panama, since  the latter did not exist when
Luis was born, as Karl Gert zur Heide has pointed  out. (With US connivance
Panama seceded from Columbia in 1903) Let's have some  pedantry now and again.
Brian Wood