[Dixielandjazz] Old Man's Recall (Bunk's Panama)

richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 7 02:28:42 PDT 2009

My thoughts on the "definitive" Jazz version is that Ory's wins out.
He would have been in his twenties in New Orleans when Panama was published.
Most play it that way and this key and strains.
Ory's version is the one we would have been exposed to in UK. Once the revival was underway here then Humph's version would have also played its part (change of key). Many bands do not play the full version or in Ab because its bxxxxx hard work for the trumpeter, especially when requested by the audience at the end of a 2 hour Dixieland gig. Follow it up with High Society and its a hospital job.
Bunk recored an earlier version in 42 to Ory's 44 but this had a lesser impact here. I would have thought Bunk and Ory would know how it went jazzwise, Bunk would have been in his thirties.

Now interestingly Luis Russell chose to truncate it in I think 1930.
He did not play the tango version either and he was from Panama as I'm sure you know.

Humph's Panama, as he changed the key, I will call Save My Lip For Tomorrow.
It must have been hard work down in that basement after the war playing Fidgety Feet, Maple Leaf Rag followed by Panama. Hell.

Richard.