[Dixielandjazz] Panama - Original Sheet Music

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Oct 6 22:00:41 PDT 2009

Steve,
For the edification of us all, was there any indication of who wrote
the arrangement you saw? Is there a publication date on this
mysterious photocopy?
I know there were many marches and Panama themed songs written in the
early 1900s as the canal was being built or promoted, but I cannot
find any early piano scores or other sheet music in the "regular
places" that relate directly to the New Orleans jazz / Brass Band
version. Yet.

I have not done a deep dig through the archives, but nothing specific
is popping up... must be out there somewhere!

I like the idea of doing the song with a strong Latin Beat throughout
- works for me!

James Dapogny's Chicago Jazzband did it that way on their "Laughing at
Life" CD.   They reverse the concept and swing out only on the last
strain (except for a final return to the top in Latin style, with a
descending chord tag I have not heard many bands do.

Dave Richoux