[Dixielandjazz] Panama - "A Characteristic Novelty"

Ingemar Wågerman gotariver at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 21:44:36 PDT 2009

Gota River Jazzmen recorded Panama on CD04 "The other Side of Town" in
2000. Listen to the entire tune at http://listen.to/gotariver . (Maybe
not the "definitive version", but...)  I have the following information
in the liner notes:

*Panama,* "A Characteristic Novelty", was composed as a tango by William
H. Tyers, published in 1911. It was used by the famous vaudeville
actress, Aida Overton Walker and her Panama Girls. The tune should not
be confused with *Panama Rag* by Ch. Seymour.

Interesting information at
http://www.newworldrecords.org/liner_notes/80611.pdf and
http://www.hurricanebrassband.nl/Repertoire%20panama.htm

Ingemar Wågerman