[Dixielandjazz] Varying from melody ...

richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 5 16:01:50 PDT 2009

It's rare for me at least to be inspired by a dire definitive original dance band version (it's not impossible though).
But I'll carry on listening to Hots Lips rip up The Sheik, Louis triumphantly converting Sweethearts, Ed Hall on King Porter, Bonano's When the Saints, Roy Eldridge sweeping through Body and Soul, Bunk's One Sweet Letter, and on and on. Of the above mentioned I've never wished they had played the original line.
Did the N.O.R.Ks play their own tunes as written?
I too have used the original sheet music and first recordings if possible.
There I've said it.

Hope your not critizing Tatum for changing the melody and chords, your'll upset Waller.

Richard (forgive me)