[Dixielandjazz] Panama

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Oct 4 21:40:39 PDT 2009

Ginny wrote:

(snip)
>I'd just as soon folks would learn the initial melody and harmony first.
(snip)

Then she wrote:

(snip)
I thought Sheik's original question was very clear; I.e., paraphrased, if
someone ones to learn the tune using their ears, who is a good source for
the  original melody?
Seems fair enough to me to want knowledge on that.
(snip)

I agree with Ginny.

When I am going to learn a new tune, or am going to record a tune, I like to go back to the original, definitive recording.  I believe that is what David (Sheik) was asking for.

Sure, I can listen to what someone recorded last year, or 10 years ago, or 20 years ago, etc.  But I want to hear the original if possible.

After hearing and learning the original, then I will make whatever changes I want and will improvise.  However, I want to start with the original, not with a recording of someone else's version which they may have picked up from someone else's version which that person may have picked up from someone else's version, etc.  Otherwise, I'd be making changes and improvising on someone else's version, rather than the original.

 --Bob Ringwald K6YBV
rsr at ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551

Check out our latest recording at www.ringwald.com/recordings.htm

The economy is so bad that the Mafia is laying off judges.
The economy is so bad that Exxon-Mobil laid off 25 Congressmen.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4477 (20091002) __________

http://www.eset.com