[Dixielandjazz] Hearing aids

Jack Vincken climax at idirect.com
Wed Nov 25 19:02:07 PST 2009

This is an answer to Tony Pringle's question. I have a hearing aid in my left ear and the remaining
hearing is about 10%. I have been told that this is caused by the ride cymbal which was always very
close to my ear and at the same level.
These send out an enormous sound pressure strait out of the side.
After playing 36 years in the Climax Jazz Band with a lot of fun and pleasure, it has ruined my ear.
I need the aid when I talk to people etc. but I can't play with it, it will distort too much.
Sometimes you see singers close one ear to hear the rhythm better or whatever, this would be a
great solution, turn of the hearing aid.
For all you guys (girls) sitting or standing next to the drums, protect your ears. You can buy those
inserts, they are not expensive and you can loose your hearing only once.
Regards
Jack Vincken