[Dixielandjazz] Norwegian Wood

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Nov 24 17:20:00 PST 2009

Steve/Eupher wrote:

Ken...I guess the question is, where do you lose the eighth note in the melody?  If you have a 2/4 at the end, is it the lyric "should I"?

Hi Steve/Eupher,

In the key of C, the written melody notes for the first line in 3/4 time are:
I G - - I A G F I E - - I D F E I C - - I etc

What we played was:
I G - - I A G F I E - - I D E I C - - I etc but dropping 1 beat every fourth bar.

I spoke to Kenny Stewart, who was the pianist in that trio, and he said he had completely forgotten about this crazy idea (it had all happened about 25 years ago), that it had cost him a packet in hypnotism, aversion therapy sessions and electric shock treatment to get it out of his head at the time, and now I had put it back in again (lots of expletives deleted)!

Actually it was great fun to play as it made a pretty mundane tune a real challenge. We came the conclusion that the only reason we had come up with the idea was almost certainly something to do with the homebrew beer I used to make. If you're going to try it, I'd recommend strong drink beforehand.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.clasicjazzorchestra.org.uk