[Dixielandjazz] Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 14:57:19 PST 2009

Hi,
While I did not  like the Pink Turtle very much, I've always
considered The Anachronic Jazz Band one of the most original bands in
traditional jazz.  I heard the band in Nice back in 1977 (or was it
1976?), and went wild.  I attended several sets, and I was really
amazed by the difference in "I Hope Gabriel Likes My Music," played
within minutes from each other!
I have one - scratched - LP, bought second hand, and love it!

,

> My point exactly.  It is not the music, but the musicians that make swing
> swing.  Is that to say that any musician/band can play any tune?  No, of
> course not.  Some musos are sensitive to certain musical turns that another
> musician is not.  My thinking is that if it swings for you, who cares who
> wrote it and/or when it was written.

Definitely.  But this has been discussed here before, and there are
many records to prove it.

> I am looking around for a great recording of Louis Mazetier and Jean-Marc
> Montaut playing "Giant Steps" in a four handed stride treatment that swings
> to all get out.

Can't wait to hear that.  Anything by Mazetier is a gas!

Cheers