[Dixielandjazz] Auld Lang-revisited

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Mon Nov 23 12:10:28 PST 2009

Ginny,

I personally love a good banjo, especially one made from wood---they
burn longer. ( ok, so that's an old one, and you've heard it).    Until
they set up a "sick humor rehab", there's no hope for me.

   I just threw in the Auld-Lang-banjo-player remark  as "stupid
musician's humor".... you know how that goes. . .  I'm certain that
banjo players hear it all the time.   If I just pick up a banjo and
carry it around, the jokes start flying at me, satisfying my
masochistic tendencies. There ought to be a law against such banjo
malignment, huh? With today's laws it's almost the only group remaining
that we can legally make jokes about.

Seriously, I honestly do love good banjo playing and play string bass
or rhythm guitar with a couple of professional banjo players at the
Sacramento banjorama and other events. Banjo players have as much fun
as anyone, and are definitely a bunch of nice people.  That said,
please don't hit me with your banjo should we ever cross paths.

BS

On Nov 23, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/23/2009 9:34:11 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> sharp-b at clearwire.net writes:
>> I Forgot to add, regarding the correct key - --
>>
>> Ask the banjo player what key he learned it in.
>>
>> bsHow could a song be learned that is only needed once a year?  Might
>> as well just fake one like that!  (I'm joking folks!)
>
> Auld Lang Syne is in the St. Louis Banjo Club book in the key of F.
> We play for sing along audiences of 75 - 100 twice a month.
>
> Ginny
> A by-the-book St. Louis banjoist.
>
> PS:  By the way music reader's come in handy when someone does do a
> revival of shows such as Mame.  Banjoists who read scores are becoming
> very scarce.
>
> PPS:  Related to the above I don't get too upset with the person
> who doesn't like the sound of the banjo.  Rather I get upset with the
> person playing the banjo that you did not like hearing.
>
> PPPS:  I guess we're lucky when we reach our senior years.  The young
> are happy with their own musical creations.  And we don't mind dying
> so much since the planet is getting unrecognizable to us anyhow.  Plus
> it often "sounds terrible" to our ears.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.