[Dixielandjazz] MAME

Bert Brandsma dixieorkest at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 22 23:06:02 PST 2009

I'm afraid we live in the computer era now, to answer your question. A lot of musicals use electronic instruments nowadays.

And the big general audience is so used to that kind of sounds meanwhile (Even Michael Jackson didn't use real trumpets).

that for them that is the norm.

The producers consider real musicians expensive, they want to make a profit, so cutting musicians out? no problem to them.

Also the hits in music today, take Lady Gaga etc. The concept is : singer backed by electronics. (even the voice is changed by autotune devices etc.) Sounds cheap to me and undoubtely is, but the big recording companies are wild about the concept of course.

Radio and recording industry are since years in a kind of symbioses as business partners and together they in fact make the general taste in music.

Only musicals where the action takes place in the 20's or 30's would be interested to use our kind of music. I'm afraid however that when such a play is made it is more easy to cover pieces allready made during that time. Why should a producer take the risk to compose new music? They are in the first place trying to make a profit.

But who knows? For the movie : New Orleans, someone gave the opportunity to write a beautifull song like : Do You Know What it Means.

I'm convinced that the songwriting and performing talents are there. They only nead a chance to get serious work!

Bert