[Dixielandjazz] OKOM ... none left?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 14:52:07 PST 2009

On 23/11/2009, billsharp <sharp-b at clearwire.net> wrote:
> Ringwald's remark  . . . .
>
> "When I first started playing OKOM, everyone older than me was from the Jazz
> age.  Now, none of them are left."
> --Bob (where's my walker) Ringwald
>
>  Bob, you forgot - - - you're left.

Bob can hardly be considered older than himself.

> Wow. Your point could be very disturbing because it points out the reality,
> according to the way I'm thinking it through,
> is that we have to conclude that we are playing dead people's compositions
> for no one  left to listen ( at least from the Jazz Era).

Not from the jazz era.  If they were still alive, they'd probably be
deaf and senile by now, so perhaps it's better that way.  But there
seem to be plenty of people to listen, of various ages.  At the last
jazz show I attended, the guy sitting next to me was much younger than
my younger son (who is 37).  Kids in their teens and twenties were
dancing to the band in an adjacent room.  And the band played only
warhorses, no "nods" to the age of the dancing kids.

There's plenty of audience, but the jazz musicians have to seek them.

> Bill (I see dead people) Sharp
> I've concluded that I'm too old to die young, and not young enough to know
> everything

The first conclusion may be correct (no idea how old you are), but the
second?  Try harder!

Cheers