[Dixielandjazz] New member to this list

Bert Brandsma dixieorkest at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 18 12:49:24 PST 2009

Hello Bob,

Well, to answer your questions,

- usually I live in the north of the Netherlands, although during winter I spent two months in Germany to play in the Cologne Opera House. (since 8 years)

- about types of music, I studied at conservatory, graduated 3 times, classical sax, jazz sax and also studied clarinet.

I'm interested in many kinds of music, but since childhood I have an extra interest in Jazz from say 1920 - 1950.

- How many times I play differs of course. Since my last graduation in 1992 the worst year had 170 gigs, the best year 276. Played with symphony orchestras, big bands, combos, saxophone quartet, helped out in the military music in this country and many more.

The Dixieland Crackerjacks gave the most work though, 2 years had more then 200 gigs per year. The band did tour Poland, Portugal, UK, Germany, France and Belgium. We play classic jazz, always try to put some Ellington in the program and a few originals.

I also played a few times further from home, New Orleans (1996 & 2004) New York (2001) San Fransisco (1999) and Tampa.

Always I've been interested in the history of music in general, the history of the saxophone and the development of Jazz. So esp. visiting New Orleans was a great thrill to me.

Hope this gives some idea,

Kind regards,

Bert